Synergy Expert Meeting
Title: Behavioural science and public health: Enhancing impact through policy and practice during COVID-19 and beyond
Description: Behavioural scientists, and in particular health psychologists, have been called to action during the COVID-19 pandemic. Their involvement in advisory groups for governments, regional and local authorities, health agencies and international bodies is noteworthy. They have identified successful ways to collaborate, through for example, the use of open science frameworks, crowd-sourcing and synthesizing of evidence, and open public health forums for co-creation and sharing best practice. This has enabled the rapid production of guidance and recommendations for policy makers and public health officials on how to influence disease prevention behaviours effectively. While this has maximized the potential to impact policy and practice, these advancements come with numerous challenges. Sharing international experiences (e.g methodologies, best practices) and establishing international collaborations and positions, can help to overcome such challenges, which can be supported by formal organizations, such as the European Health Psychology Society.
The objectives of this EHPS SYNERGY Expert Meeting are to:
- Share international experiences in advising governments, policy makers and public health agencies during the COVID-19 pandemic and other public health emergencies.
- Identify ways in which behavioural science can inform policy and decision making, and pathways to achieve it
- Generate a position statement paper on the role of behavioural sciences and health psychology in tackling global public health challenges
- Establish an EHPS network/SIG on the topic.
– Dr Marta Marques, Comprehensive Health Research Centre, NOVA Medical School, UNL, Portugal
– Professor Angel Chater, Centre for Health, Wellbeing and Behaviour Change (CHeWBeC), University of Bedfordshire, United Kingdom; Centre for Behaviour Change, University College London, United Kingdom
Applications close 9 May 2022 23:59 hrs (BST). Follow this link to the application form.